Welcome to Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas! We are a vibrant, devoted congregation of believers drawn together in faith, compassion, and spiritual commitment; small in number but great in spirit. We invite you to browse through our website and explore who we are – better yet, come worship with us!
“The people of Grace Presbyterian Church gather to seek and to worship God,
and disperse, sharing and celebrating through love and service, the grace of God:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.“
GOING ON NOW … at Grace Presbyterian!
All kids, kinder-6th grade, are invited to join us from 5-6 pm on Wednesday evenings, starting July 7, for Daily Bread Café. For an hour, we will look at Bible stories about food, play some games, and make cool stuff. Afterwards, all kids (and their families) are welcome to join the whole church for supper at Burgers & Blessings. This is our Vacation Bible School this year. If any adults want to help, let Jalyn Fisk or Judy Serpas know.
You are invited to share your favorite side dish or dessert. Grace will provides hamburgers & hot dogs & fixings along with tea, lemonade and water. Volunteers to be a grillmaster or work in the kitchen one of the Wednesday, please contact Ralph Truzkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or (432) 260-1647. Entertainment or program? Please contact Ralph if you would like to provide short entertainment or a program.
Worship at Grace, Online and In-Person, This Sunday, July 18
Adult Sunday School is at 9:30 am, in person and by ZOOM. The link is below.
Meeting ID: 837 0586 4521
Worship in person, on Facebook live, and by ZOOM at 11:00 am. Use the same link as above, a little before 11 am.
Updated protocols for in-person worship:
- Those who have been completely vaccinated may participate without wearing a mask or practicing social distancing.
- Those who have not been vaccinated are encouraged to wear masks and practice social distancing.
- Those who have been completely vaccinated may sing (with or without a mask) – yea!!!
- Those who are not vaccinated are requested to wear a mask if they sing.
- Carol O’Briant – emergency surgery this past Monday; please pray for healing
- Dawson family, on the death of Fran Dawson; and for Bob Dawson, having surgery July 29.
Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church
From the Gathered Community: 07/18/21
We gathered to seek and worship God on this beautiful summer Lord’s Day.
Welcome to those who joined us on Zoom and Facebook Live!
Special thanks to Sue Hannaman for leading Time With Young Disciples.
Special thanks to Laura and the Choir for leading us in joyful music!
Comfort and peace for the family of Fran Dawson, who died this morning after several months of various illnesses. We give thanks for her life. (no service arrangements have been made yet)
Laura Holleman: For the family of Kay Kennemur (of First Presbyterian Big Spring) who died very suddenly
Deb Wilson: her mother died on Saturday; giving thanks for her mother’s life, and holding the family in our prayers
Mark Nicholas: giving thanks that Kairos ministry volunteers are now permitted back in the prisons after 1.5 years
Bill Warren: for healing for Dr. Bob Chappell (Covid/delta; he is better and home from the hospital)
Kennedy Jones: giving thanks for her dad’s birthday tomorrow
Jeff McDonald: for Cuba and the unrest there; the Presbyterian seminary there has agreed to open part of their facilities to take in children with covid and their caregivers – the hospitals are being overrun. We give thanks for the seminary’s hospitality, and pray that this will go well with the children receiving the care they need.
Joy Alexander: praise for modern technology so those who can’t go in person can “go to church”. It means a lot.
Chris Laufer: prayers for healing for grands Audrey & A.J. having surgeries on Tuesday. (Audrey – tonsils; A.J. adenoids)
St. Andrews Mission Funds
Don’t forget to sign up to be part of a research / information-gathering team for the 3 areas of ministry we are considering for use of the St. Andrews Funds: 1) affordable child care, etc; 2) community garden on our grounds; 3) other ways to address food insecurity. The sign-up sheets are on the table in the narthex – or let me know and I’ll sign you up. We hope to have groups start meeting in August.
Go and grow in God’s love!
Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church
St. Andrews Funds update
You may recall that when we sold the St. Andrews Mission property, Grace was gifted with $172,000, to be used for missions and/or ministry with children’s program and ministry. After gleaning ideas for almost 2 years, the session has narrowed down the list of nearly 100 ideas to 3 categories that they feel the church is being called to explore.
1. Affordable Day Care/Pre-school and other children & youth related ministries
2. Community garden on the property
3. Other ways to address food insufficiency in our community
These 3 exploration teams will do just that – explore and research needs and possibilities, and if so led, bring proposals for implementation and / or partnerships back to the session.
If you would like to part of an exploration team for one or more of these ideas, please add your name to the sign-up lists on the table in the narthex.
Attached is the story of our church life throughout 2020 (more commonly known as our 2020 Annual Report). This is your story – and it is a story of grace and faithfulness. Well done good and faithful servants!
The Mission Team has designated the first Sunday of each month as a “Blessing Box Sunday”, meaning that is a GREAT time to make donations for the Blessing Box. A suggested list of items is included in the newsletter (and on the Mission table in the narthex) and covers such things as canned soups, canned fruits, boxed meals, canned meats, pasta, pasta sauces, crackers of all kinds, peanut butter crackers, peanut butter, rice, cereals, granola bars, cookies, baby goods of any kind, and toiletries. Include things you would like, yourself! Creativity is welcome.
As Sundays are presently a difficult day to bring donations, another day works fine (Tuesday thru Friday); there is a collection basket on/by the Mission table back by the Fellowship Hall. Or – if the Blessing Box is in need of stocking, you can put your goods directly in the Box.
Thank you; YOU are a blessing!
Friendship House has completed their first month here at Grace!!! This new, non-profit organization offers a day program for young adults with special needs. They use our Fellowship Hall during the day time Monday-Friday. They have four regular participants, and will be adding more this summer. Church members are welcome to come by, visit, and see what they are doing. We are seeking to form a relationship with them that will develop into church members volunteering with the program, and program participants helping the church as well.
• Manna Bags: The Manna Bags are available at the church for you to keep in your car and hand out to people on the street corners asking for help. They contain facemasks, food items and information about where to get help. Feel free to come by and pick them up.
• Growing with Grace: We continue to pack sacks of food for Fannin Elementary students to take home with them on the weekends.
• Prayer Box. Also by the labyrinth on the edge of our north parking lot is the Grace “Prayer Box” (in the photo, at left). Anyone from the community is welcome to come by and drop in a prayer request. Requests will be kept anonymous as they are shared with the congregation.
• Grace continues to support our Mission Partners each month: Marion Medical Mission, Family Promise, Tres Rios Presbytery, Community Children’s Clinic, Reflection Ministries, and others.
• Grace received a grant of $1,000 from the Tres Rios Presbytery to help keep the well- utilized Blessing Box stocked. Thank you Tres Rios Presbytery!!!
Church Work Day
Masks and physical distancing protocol were in effect. Most of the work was outside work this time, and volunteers came with rakes, gloves, trimmers, etc. We appreciate everyone’s help! Some of outside features – such as the labyrinth, the Blessing Box, and the Prayer Request Box – are there for the community.
What’s Happening at Grace …
Online Giving Through Presbyterian Foundation
(CLICK HERE for instructions on how to use this feature)